onsdag 6 maj 2015

Maki the best of it

 Lo folks it's the Makitainers from Maki Games. Again a kickstarter I participated in. A set of modular floors walls and such that can make wargaming scenary. I have  a shitload of pictures so I will be breaking the article up in two. One for walls and floor and one for... stuff.

So let's get to it,

These are makitainers. Five diffrent ones. The makitainer is the basic structure of the modular system. Now it's not really five diffrent ones, becuase the walls and floors are two sided so each can form two diffrent versions.


This is the standard unit. often called a makitainer. This side looks like a shipping container. The kind you usually find near docks.


 The doors swing open, I didn't open them to much though because they are also two sided and the back has a very diffrent theme (a bit to diffrent if you ask me).

This is also the standard makitainer with walls floors and doors flipped. It has a very warhammer 40k look.  One that I really aren't to fond of. Why wouold my regular shipping containers have skulsl and worls like angelus and spiritus and sangri written on the inside. I guess the reason they did it like this is because they wanted their initial product to be able to appeal to as many demographics as possible as to boost the kickstarter participation (or sales if they had only managed to fund one theme). But after they had funded a more theme they should have paired the container of with something more fitting and the warhammer 40k side with somethign more fitting for that. But then again I do like the other themes they did add. 


This is the steampunk side from the steampunk/industrial theme, notice the floor is the same as I previously used in the warhammer 40k one. This is because the steampunk/industrial theme doesnt have a floor of it's own. But it works well so I have no complaints about that. The door is however part of the set (and has two sides) Now on to my favourite version


This is the industrial side of the steampunk/industrial theme. It has Brick and fans and for some reason a corrugated metal door (I think this is the side that is suposed to go with the industrial side). I'm a little dissapointed about the door (who has a corrugeted metal door on a brick building?) but the bricks are great and it's very likely that this is the side I'll mostly use (though probably not in such small segments. Oh neither of these doors open.

Now lets look at the individual parts
 This is a floor, The floor does come in several varieties but the themes I went for (makitainer and steampunk/industrial) both use this one. As I said it's two sided.

This is the other side of the floor. Aside from when I'm making containers with the makitainers container side I'll probably be using this side. It's simply a whole lot nicer to look at.

I pldeged at the ranger level and got 22 floor tiles of this kind. Now accute readers will be saying "Wait this kind didn't you just say you only got the two themes which uses this floor?" Well actually I did get one more thing. I got a sushibar inspired by the one in bladerunner which has parts from the scifi theme. And that has floor of it's own.

 And this is it. And yes this is not the same size as the others I did get some sci fi floors with full size too but I kind of built the sushi bar already. So I'll show those as part of the Sushibar near the end.

Here's the backside of the sci-fi floor. Notice both sides are sci fi here. I really think that long term this is the waythey should go. You expose both sides of a part far to often to go with themes that are very diffrent.
Well I got two of these square floors and two of the full size ones in the sci-fi set I bought (as a part of the susibar set is was really really cheap). And that's all for floors (for now). Let's look closer at the doors (not the band).

 This is the corrugated metal door that I think belongs to the industrial set. It dosnt open but I think it may have been cast so that it's possible to crack it open in the middle and use it as an openable door. I havent tried, mostly because I like my fingers the way they are.

 Here's the steampunk version of the same door. Since I'll mostly be playing warzone which kind of can do the whole steampunk thing (well actually dieselpunk) I'll probably be using this side with the bricksides of the steampunk/industrial theme.


This is the container door from the makitainer. if you look really closely you can see it's two separate parts lying really close to each other. If I make containers I might actually use the corrugated steel side of the others too. It looks better, though granted that this one does open, but then again it opens to reveal this:



Oh god my eyes hurt, those really cant be used for anything except warhammer 40k. There's a slight fix for the skulls but the thing saying spiritus I'd have to scrape of.

Now these are all the doors (I'm sorry I dont seem to have taken any overview photos of how many of each kind I got) so there's one thing I should say. The people designing this system did one massive mistake. The doors are made to fit the short sides of the floors, but the doors are not a swide as the wall segments meaning that while you could make a wall segment work on a short side it means you'd have to use doors elsewhere to do that. It means the sytem isn't fully modular. Which is kind of sad if you aks me because it would've been so much nicer to work with if it was.                   


 This is a wall segment. You use two wallsegments  per long side of the floor (what is the point of not just havign one long one of you can't easily stick it on the short side anyway?). In this case it's the brick (industrial) side of the steampunk/industrial (I'm getting tired of writing that out).

 And this is the steampunk side of the same piece. Another majir bitching point (I do bitch about stuff, it's one of my talents) is the pins. While they as shown by the guys over maki games can stand that your stand on the makitainers they dont last long if you keep taking the things apart. I've broken like 3 of them in just two days of playing with the stuff. And I'm actually trying to be carefull.


 This is the container side of the makitainer, it's very simple but I think there will be use of it anyway. certainly more use than:

I'm sorry but this still make me cringe. yes the skull kan be fixed but that still leaves it with a cheesy wh40k look. Again i seem to have forgotten the overview photo of the wall segments. I'll probably edit that in asap (which for my probably means in a few months).

Well only one thing left to bitch about. Let's look at the floors again


This is the corner of one of the floor tiles.
  You'll see that the holes on the long side and the holes on the short side don't match up. This is because the doors are meant to go on the short side and wall segments on the long side. And it's totaly unessecery and limits the modularity (is that even a word) of the system. Which is kind of sad since it's actually kind of fun, reminds me a bit of playing with lego as a kid really.
So how crazy can it get? Well let's take a look at that sushi bar!



 Well it doesnt look a thing like bladerunner but it's a cool building. I had to make some choices because of the lack of modularity though as we'll see in the next pic. (also Angela drachen from Warzone for size)

 Like the corrugated metal door right out into nothing at the end of the top one. You'll also note there are a lot of stuff on these pictures I havent yet shown you. Well that's what the next part of this series is for. Stuff!
See you next time folks.



PS. Oh I almost forgot one pirce of awesome Kudos. Shipping, with the possible exception of the tablescapes this was shipped snugger and more efficiently than any other kickstarter I ever participated in. And it may have the least amount of broken or bent stuff too.






Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar